Well, if you weren’t born, that’s OK, but Wall Bros was just starting up! Cyril Wall opened his first shop in Tarring Road back then and we are proud to be still here today. We had a look at what other important stuff was going in 1957 and here’s what we came up with.
1957 top ten facts:
- Russia launched Sputnik and really galvanised the space race
- John Lennon met Paul McCartney for the first time
- Elvis Presley purchased a mansion in Tennessee and called it Graceland
- Ian Fleming published his novel ‘From Russia with Love’ about a spy called James Bond
- The Queen delivered her Christmas message on TV for the first time
- Bridge on the River Kwai came out in cinemas
- Diana by Paul Anka was the best selling single in the UK
- Harold MacMillan was the British Prime Minister
- Singapore gained Independence from the UK
- The average price of a house was £2000
Of course things have changed a bit since then – but according to some surveys, 1957 was also the happiest year ever too. I don’t suppose a new carpet shop appearing in Worthing had anything to do with that do you?